Saturday, July 23, 2011

Needing Inspiration...

Dear friends,

Do you ever come to a standstill as to what to do next in the house? You have so many little (and sometimes big projects) to conquer and the hardest part is what to actually throw yourself into first. Love as I do all my favorite home blogs - even those sometimes get my head in a whirlwind of thoughts that I have to temper. So after much thought on this matter I think I have found my solution. I have observed that I focus better when I think about my guests!

My family's background is Latin American/Spanish, who are known to be some of the most gracious and gregarious hosts ever. Now throw in a dash of southern modern hospitality (I have been in the south since 1994) and by all accounts I should be the host of all hosts! LOL! I don't invite just anyone into my home because to me, my home is my sanctuary, my temple, my living breathing interpretation of my life in movement. I truly feel that "home" should be a journey, not a destination. I think this is why I try to approach my home projects through the lens of a new guest coming to greet us in our most private space for the very first time. What do you want them to feel, smell, touch and most important of all, what do you want them to learn about you?  You know, those unspoken truths about you?

My gazebo, which is tucked in the back corner of the garden, could whisper
 to my new guest that I like the hidden corners of life.
That perhaps I like to make my own path and savor the quiet spaces.

The inside of the gazebo can share that napping is essential in beautiful spaces!

And that "dinning out" should always be delightfully close to home!
Chris and I have spent a lot of time working through the details of our backyard and have treated the outdoor space as an extension of our living space always. Since the side patio and backyard leads directly into our family room and kitchen, this is why we started our renovation project in these spaces - this is where we spend most of our time!

However, now that I have the kitchen and family room almost the way I want them I must make my way to the front of the house. The dinning room & living room space right off the front entrance of the house is my next project! This is the "first impression" view of our home for most of our guests. While we have done a lot of work already with the renovation, we have LOTS more to do! Here are some pictures of what the space looked like prior to the renovation:


This is the front room. With the exception of the bookcase, every thing from this front room has been sold!

My main reading couch in the front room. There is actually great light in this room because of its sun exposure.

Dinning room right off the front room/front entry.
The look in the house was a little more traditional, no? That has all changed now! After the renovation the walls partitioning the front room and the dinning room were taken out to open the space and we painted all the walls Benjamin Moore's Mascarpone and painted all the trim a grey-blue custom color. The new space is fresh and inviting - much more organic and open. Last week my girlfriend Liz and I went out in search of inspiration for this tricky space and this is what inspired me...

Beautiful entry table and lamps at Armour & Co in Virginia Highlands.

While @ Armour & Co I also found this great table & chairs which made me
 feel better about having a dark table and light colored chairs.

I found this dinning set in Home Grown Living in Roswell and LOVED the skirts on the chairs - a MUST have!
 I also fell in love and had to have the grayish basket in front of the fireplace.

What about a bench for the dinning room table? This too was @ Home Grown Living.

For the front room maybe a floating mini day bed... is that craziness? Found @ Home Grown Living.

This antique shutter captured my heart at Redefined Home on Howell Mill.

Back @ Armour & Co I wondered if a more traditional, but small scale, sofa
would be in order for the front room. Hmmm...

Loved this little lady. Want to take her home but FOCUS FOCUS on the big pieces first!
 @ Home Grown Living.

This was a great upholstery job on a chair I found in Urban Cottage on N. Highland.
Wouldn't you LOVE to lounge all day in this decadent chair and sip your tea? Yes, Please!
Well, as you can see I have a lot of dreaming, planning and budgeting to do as I set the stage to conquer my front room and dinning room. Should be tons of fun...stay tuned to see what I find out there!!

No comments:

Post a Comment